Entrance mats are the first barrier against mud, dirt, rain, snow and other debris. They can help keep the floors cleaner by reducing dirt and grime tracked throughout your facility. Moreover, entrance mats help create a safer environment by keeping feet dry, minimizing the risks of injuries caused by slipping and falling on wet floors.
There are various entrance mats available, and choosing the right type of mat for your business is essential to get the full benefits they have to offer. With a wide range of styles, colors and designs to fit a wide variety of uses, it can seem overwhelming to pick the right mat for your business. Whatever your needs, NoTrax™ has the best entrance mat for your workplace. Our mats are tested by independent laboratories, guaranteed 100 percent under regular use
Entry mats are an essential part of any business. They serve the primary function of offering your visitors and staff a place to wipe their feet, but they also help increase safety and promote cleanliness in your facility. With the assistance of this entrance mat guide, you'll be able to find a mat that lays out an appropriate welcome while keeping your facility safe and clean.Browse Our Full List of Entrance Floor Mat Products
Where Will You Use This Mat?
The location of your business will determine the type of entrance mat best suited for your facility. If the climate in your area is known for heavy rains or subject to extreme cold weather and subject to ice and snow, entrance mats designed to withstand these conditions are the best choice. No matter where you place it, NoTrax Mats are designed to function well in any environment.
At NoTrax, we carry entrance mats that can handle a variety of weather conditions. To prevent the majority of dirt and debris from entering your facility, we recommend using the 15-foot rule. This rule states that 15 feet of matting will ensure that each foot will make contact with the matting at least three times, providing adequate scraping and drying to stop most dirt and moisture at the entrance.
Most facilities have plenty of dry areas. However, dry surfaces can become slippery with accumulated dirt and debris. Additionally, intermittent spills happen, and shoes can track moisture from outdoors during inclement weather. Placing a mat at every entrance, even within the building, provides an opportunity to catch dirt and water before a worker enters a new area.
Top 5 Customer Favorite Indoor Entrance Mats
- Polynib™Luxurious berber-style entrance mat for an elegant appearanceStarting at: $44.00
SKU: 136 Buy NowBrush Step®Ribbed pattern entrance mat for cleaning the bottom of shoesStarting at: $29.00
SKU: 109 Buy NowIndoor/Outdoor Mats
A covered outdoor area such as a portico is a perfect spot to place an entrance mat. Transition areas are subject to debris and moisture tracked indoors by workers or customers entering the facility. Flooring and floor maintenance can be expensive. Excess dirt and debris cause staining, scratching and slip hazards. Entrance mats help protect floors from spills and wear and tear. An entry mat, such as a scraper mat, is designed to trap dirt and water before being tracked indoors. Add a wiper mat immediately inside the building to trap any remaining dirt or moisture on shoe bottoms before it gets tracked indoors.
Top 5 Customer Favorite Indoor/Outdoor Entrance Mats
- Master Trax®Heavy traffic oversized entrance where multiple mats are not desirable
SKU: 370 Buy NowWaffle CTE™Waffle pattern that is raised and crushproof for light trafficStarting at: $26.00
SKU: 152 Buy NowDiamond CTE™Diamond pattern that is raised and crushproof for light trafficStarting at: $26.00
SKU: 151 Buy NowOutdoor Mats
These mats are the first line of defense to remove dirt and debris. Strategically placed mats will limit the amount of muck and grime that gets tracked inside which will reduce the wear and tear on interior finishes and thus decreasing the time and money spent on maintenance and repair. Of course, these mats are also designed to withstand outdoor elements.
Top 5 Customer Favorite Outdoor Entrance Mats
- Rubber Brush™Outdoor entrance mat with flexible fingers to remove dirt and debrisStarting at: $27.00
SKU: 345 Buy NowSoil Guard™Outdoor entrance mat guard against soil in low-profile scraping designStarting at: $30.00
SKU: 340 Buy NowIn a Recessed Tray Mats
Entrance mats with recessed trays help contain and trap dirt, debris and moisture at the door. These mats typically lie flush with the ground to reduce the risk of slips or falls due to uneven ground surfaces.
Top Customer Favorite In a Recessed Tray Mats
You might also be interested in:
- Getting Anti-Fatigue Floor Mats
- Selecting Your Non-Slip Floor Matting
- Guide to Picking Electrical ESD Mats
- Choosing Your Disinfectant Floor Mat
How Much Usage Will This Mat Get?
The amount of foot traffic the area receives also determines which type of entrance mat to use. Mats should be durable, easy to clean and have the ability to pick up and contain most of the dirt and moisture that gets tracked in until the end of the day. The amount of usage can affect a mat's longevity over time. Consider these usage levels to help determine what level entrance mat is right for your facility.
Light Traffic mats are designed for light foot traffic in an area. The mats provide light moisture and dirt retention at entrances, lobbies, and passageways. They are a good option for a relatively low movement setting.
Medium Traffic mats can stand up to multiple employees' and visitors' foot traffic and lightweight equipment such as a light work cart or hand dolly wheels.
Heavy Traffic mats are suitable for environments that receive many people and movement throughout the day and the usage of heavy tools and equipment. Heavy traffic mats are made from durable materials that will hold up well under rough conditions.
Do You Need a Custom Length Mat?
Many facilities and workspaces can use standard mat sizes, but standard mats won't work for those with unique layouts. NoTrax carries a wide range of mat sizes and offers custom sizes upon request. Our entrance mat options include:
- Stock Sizes—We carry several standard entrance mat sizes that may be suitable for your needs. Stock mats are prefabricated and are available in several sizes, patterns, materials and colors.
- Custom Length—For unique shaped workspaces, we can cut a roll to fit your area's exact specifications.
- Interlocking Mat Tiles—Modular mat tiles can be configured and arranged in all kinds of unique shapes to fit irregular recessed wells.
Message and Logo Mat Options
Entrance mats are the first thing people encounter when entering any building. The mats present a unique opportunity to display a company logo, safety or morale messages for employees, or promotional advertising with colorful graphics and colors that accentuate the company's public image.
- How to Add a Custom Logo—Logo entrance mats are printed using a state-of-the-art dye-injection process to create a long-lasting color that resists fading over time. There are 22 base colors to choose from, and all logo mats feature a vinyl backing that increases surface friction that ensures minimal buckling and mat movement on smooth floors. Logo entrance mats are available in both custom and standard sizes. To order custom mats, please select the size, orientation and have your logo ready in EPS, AI or PDF format at 300 dpi. Then send the information to our customer service team and will have a proof ready in 24 hours. Once the proof is approved, we can start printing your custom logo mats on our quality entrance mats.
- Stock Message Mats are multi-functional. They trap dirt and moisture, keeping a work environment clean while offering safety reminders or greetings to anyone entering or exiting a room. Our inventory of stock message mats features attention-grabbing pre-printed messages while effectively cleaning dirt and moisture from foot traffic.
Understand the Specifics (Glossary)
Some of our industry-specific terms in the descriptions of our products can be difficult to interpret. Here's a glossary to help you understand the terminology and find the perfect entrance mat for your space.
- Coir is made from the fibrous husks of the inner shell of the coconut. It's naturally biodegradable, and its textured surface features thousands of bristles that effectively remove dirt and debris. Coir is naturally weather-resistant and is an excellent choice for outdoor use.
- Carpet is the most widely used material for floor mats. These mats are often made from synthetic fibers that are fade-resistant, antimicrobial and durable. The mat's yarn is often dyed, which offers a range of color possibilities and logo print options.
- Natural Rubber is a very tough material that is durable and provides traction on slippery floors. The mats usually feature surface ridges or textures that aid in scrubbing/wiping the bottoms of shoes and guiding water and moisture away from the mat. Rubber floor mats are recommended for high-traffic areas.
- Nylon is a synthetic plastic material that is lightweight, strong and resistant to abrasion. It also has excellent moisture absorption and retention. Nylon is stain and fade resistant, making it perfect for logo mats.
- Vinyl-Looped Spaghetti mats feature a heavy-duty vinyl-looped construction that traps dirt and moisture while scraping debris.
- PVC, also known as Polyvinyl Chloride, is a synthetic compound with good durability, resistance to moisture and versatility. It's affordable but not suitable for frigid environments.
- Checkered mats offer a classic pattern of alternating squares of different colors/tones. Our mini-checked mats feature a dual-fiber design that effectively traps debris and moisture while retaining its attractive appearance.
- Chevron mats feature multi-directional raised ribs that help brush debris from shoes regardless of traffic flow. The chevron pattern not only looks attractive, but it traps dirt and debris in its trenches, preventing it from making it onto your work floor.
- Diamond patterns work similarly to chevron with their high/low ribs that facilitate scraping while keeping moisture and debris away from foot traffic.
- Fingers pattern features thousands of durable, flexible rubber "fingers" that sweep shoes clean.
- Parquet is another high/low ridge pattern made of alternating squares that facilitates scraping and keeps moisture and debris away from foot traffic.
- Rings feature a multi-hole pattern that works as a drainage system to channel water and debris away from the walking surface. These mats are made from natural rubber and work best in wet areas.
- Berber/nubbed mats feature tightly nibbed loops that entrap debris and hide it deep into its fibers. It offers multi-directional scraping action via a high-low surface pattern while maintaining a neat appearance.
- Bubble/Domed patterned mats facilitate scraping and drying while trapping moisture and debris.
If you have questions about selecting other types of matting, visit our Floor Matting Buyer’s Guide, or for mats for specific locations, see our Guide to Mats By Area.